Membership entitles you to borrow up to 8 items for up to 1 month at a time with no additional fee. This does not include party hire toys which incur an additional fee.
One item can be a small toy, a set (eg: a train set or a box of blocks) or a big toy (eg: a ride on car, or outdoor play gym). Some smaller toys are combined in one bag and count as one toy. A maximum of 3 of your 8 items can be Gold Star toys which are our most popular toys and are marked with a black star. Please note that at times due to circumstances the maximum number of toys and the number of Gold Star toys that can be borrowed may be less than what is stated here.
Members are entitled to hire the party toys, equipment and shade gazebo. These toys incur an additional fee and bookings are essential. Please refer to the Party Hire page for further information including current hire costs and terms and conditions of hire.
- Members are responsible for counting pieces of toys on the day of borrowing. If you identify that a toy is incomplete (missing pieces), please email The Townsville Toy Library immediately with the toy number and correct details.
- Members are responsible for the care of borrowed toys.
- There is a $5 per piece replacement fee for any missing pieces. You may borrow the toy for additional 1 month period to try and locate any missing pieces. If the toy becomes inoperable due to the missing piece/s, you will need to replace the toy or pay a negotiated replacement fee.
- If a toy is lost, you will need to replace the toy or pay a negotiated replacement fee. You may borrow the toy for additional 1 month period to try and locate it.
- If a toy breaks due to reasonable wear and tear or poor condition there will be no charge.
- If a toy is broken due to inappropriate use or neglect including damage by pets, you will be charged the full cost of replacing the toy or you may replace the toy yourself.
- All toys must be cleaned before they are returned or upon returning.
- Toys must be returned on or before the 1 month hire period. A late fee of $1 per toy will be charged per week overdue. Please email or message The Townsville Toy Library if you have difficulty returning items. Regular toys may be renewed for one extra month. Gold Star toys are our most popular toys and therefore cannot be renewed or extended out of fairness to our other members.
- Members must provide helmets for children using any bikes or bike style toys, including Euro trikes and scooters. All members must read and sign the waiver, release and indemnity for bicycle and scooters below and sign on their membership form that they have read and agree to it before being eligible to borrow.
NB: Townsville Toy Library Committee reserve the right to reject or terminate a membership. Formal acceptance of new members occurs at the next scheduled committee meeting after the application has been received.
The Townsville Toy Library requires volunteers to keep it running therefore members who choose to take up a volunteer membership are ‘compensated’ for their time in assisting with tasks and shifts with a reduced membership fee.
- In order to qualify for the volunteer membership reduced fee members must complete 3, two hour shifts within 4 months of signing up – your availability is taken into account when rostering and children are welcome during volunteer sessions.
- All volunteers are regularly rostered on to complete shifts throughout their 12 month membership.
- Volunteer members who are able to are also requested to assist with annual stocktake which takes place over 2 weeks during July (at which time the library is shut for borrowing).
- From time to time the committee may put a call out to volunteers to assist at events and expos your assistance at these types of events is greatly appreciated.
- Other volunteer opportunities may arise as the toy library grows and evolves so if you are unable to complete regular shifts you may be able to fulfil your volunteer duties in other ways. The Townsville Toy Library committee will notify volunteer members when other opportunities for volunteering are available.
We are all parents and understand that ‘life’ happens and can prevent us from being able to return toys on time and/or complete volunteer duties, all we ask is that you communicate with us either via email and/or our facebook page and let us know in advance (when possible) that you need to cancel a shift or extend the due date for the toys you have borrowed. We appreciate your assistance with this.